At St Mary Multicultural ELC, we ensure all enquiries are welcomed by our educators and management. All visitors are given a tour of the service during the normal hours of operation.
- When a child is to be enrolled at our services, the following procedure is followed:-
• Families complete the relevant enrolment forms before a child commences at the centre. Under no circumstances is a child to be in care at the centre without enrolment details.
• All other relevant documents accompanying the enrolment form are to be copied, e.g. Immunisation details, custodial papers, birth certificate etc. All children attending child care need to be immunised and need to keep their vaccination shots up to date. An updated immunisation statement needs to be given to the service every time your child gets vaccinated, as required by Department of Education and Communities.
• Management explain Child Care Benefit and Child Care Rebate scheme to new families and provide them with the relevant documentation. Families are required to contact the Family Assistance Office (FAO), however management would be more than happy to assist in the procedure.
• Management provides families with details of starting date, payment of fees and issue parents with a Family Information book about the centre.
• Families are encouraged to and given the opportunity to discuss as many concerns or issues with our friendly and qualified educators.
• Families are asked if there is anything staff need to be aware of or can do to help their child during the settling in process. This information is then passed on to relevant staff.
• Children are enrolled at the centre in priority of families with exceptional circumstances or children at risk, working parents, and then non working parents. All parents are to acknowledge this and abide by this policy. If no positions are available at the centre, then the family will be referred to our nearest centre for enrolment.
Once enroled, new families and children are given the opportunity to spend a day at our service before their start date. This will provide the opportunity to introduce them to the educators of the room and familiarise with our environment and daily routines before commencing care at our service. Management will also take the opportunity to show the family our centre’s philosophy, policies, procedures daily routine, weekly program, the sign in and out process, menus, family involvement and much more. We kindly request that families fill in an evaluation of the orientation procedure once enrolment commences, in order for the centre to receive feedback on communicating the orientation procedure in the most effective manner. This process helps to ease the settling-in process for the children and may calm any first day anxiety nerves the children or their families may have. During the orientation process, families are also informed of what is required to be brought to the centre each day.
During the settling in period, educators ensure the needs of each child and their families is met by openly communicating with them, introducing them to other children, parents and staff members and by making them feel welcomed and comfortable in their new environment.
Each child’s routine needs, such as bringing in a teddy, waving goodbye at the window, drawing a picture to take home, or choosing favourite activities to play with are met.
Educators communicate openly with families through conversation, phone calls, emails and daily diaries to keep families aware of how their child is settling in at the service. If families have any concerns or questions, they are listened to and respected at all times. New families are encouraged to contact the centre via phones or emails whenever required to check on how their child’s day is going and how they are settling in. If the child is having difficulties settling in, this is discussed with the parents, and a plan is devised to support the child through the process.
The centre’s orientation process is flexible to ensure all families’ needs are met. Individual children may have a different orientation process tailored to suit their needs.